Followers

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

|
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Finished Reading on December 23, 2010
Family Drama, Paperback, 407 Pages, Personal Collection

The Story: Kate is suffering from Acute Premylotic Leukemia. The only person who can save her is her sister, Anna whose genetic make-up was specifically designed to be a compatible donor for Kate. Now, 13 years old Anna is sick of being a lab rat and decides to file a lawsuit for medical emancipation from her parents and to stop helping Kate to live. Stuck between love to her sister and the fate of her own future, Anna now is confused and everything she does seems to be wrong. And what choice does she has?

My Thought: "My Sister's Keeper" is a novel that I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, the characters, and Picoult's writing is very stylish and heart wrenching. Same as "House Rules", Picoult writes the story from the view of a few different characters. I love this style of writing because by understanding the feeling of each of the characters involve in the conflict, I can get a well rounded look to the story. Reading from Anna's POV make me keep asking myself, what will I do if I'm in her shoes? How far that I'll go to sacrifice myself to save my beloved one? And same as Anna, I also don't know the answer to these questions.This is such an emotional torture to a girl as young as Anna. Sara is another character who gives a huge impact to me. As a mother to a child whose life can be taken any second, she is willing to do anything to help her beloved Kate .Though I reject (from religious and humanity perspectives), her decision to design a baby just for the purpose to save her daughter's life, and her lack of motherly attitude towards her other children Jesse and Anna, deep inside, my heart's saying "She's great. An Iron-Mother indeed."  As a whole, I loved this story as it exposes what are the dilemmas experienced by family members, when crisis arises in the family organization. I just wish that I can read from Kate's perspective also, but none is there except for a few pages in the after story. Recommend to all.

CoffeeNCracker's Meter: 5 Cups of Coffee

8 comments:

Lyla Ibrahim said...

I love this one...
I don't really like the character Sara though...
she's tough but way too tough...
huhu...

those of you who haven't read this one...
read them!!!!

Small Kucing said...

i love this book.

Went to BX yesterday to see their RM1-RM8 promo. Nothing much left when I arrived :(

Unknown said...

@Rockprincess
I also don't like Sara at first but then I can reason why she's acting is such a way. =)

@MamaKucing
LOL!!! U just want to make me jealous!! I miss BX so very much lor...

StephTheBookworm said...

One of my favorite books!

Sarah said...

This sounds like a heartbreaking read, I've had my eye on it for a while now but I really should go & buy a copy :o)

Aina Yasmin said...

OMG! This sounds great!
Thanks 4 the review!

Shy said...

One of the books that I'm planning to read come January! I'm pretty sure I'll be crying bucket. For some reasons I wonder why the characters can't be a boy :P

Karen and Gerard said...

I liked this one too. Here's a link to my review of it: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-sisters-keeper-by-jodi-picoult.html